Positivity

pos·i·tiv·i·ty
noun
-the state or character of being positive.

There are several definitions of the word positive. Here’s the one that most intrigues me:

pos·i·tive
adjective
-having a value greater than zero.

When I think about positivity, I see ‘anti-gravity’. If a person lets something drop, zero effort is required on their part — gravity will take over. However, if a person wants to keep something from dropping or actually raise something — effort must kick in.

Positivity is more difficult to achieve than negativity. If someone is ‘down’ their presence goes down, ‘hanging the head’ and ‘dragging the feet’. Frowns happen when the corners of the mouth turn down. And expressions represent the very same, ‘letting the ball drop’, ‘slipping through the cracks’ and ‘spiraling downward’.

Positivity challenges gravity. A smile happens when the corners of the mouth go up. To achieve a positive stance someone must keep their ‘chin up’, ‘spirits lifted’, ‘rise above’, ‘pick up their step’, or ‘lift their mood’. True effort is required to ‘raise the bar’, ‘aim high’, and ‘shoot for the moon’.

Positivity is hard work. And can be even tougher when naysayers try to ‘suck the life force out’ of it.

Positivity is contagious. But …you have to catch it.

The next time you’re trying to maintain a positive outlook and wondering why it always feels like you’re fighting an uphill battle — it’s because you are.

Good news. You are not alone. I love the saying:

surround self

Go do that!

~~Deidre~~

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “Positivity

1. Kristina Weatherford Fri, May 31, 2013 / 11:21 am

I really needed to read this during this rough patch in my road of life. Very well said. Thank you.

Kristina

2. Kristina Weatherford Fri, May 31, 2013 / 11:25 am

You have such an amazing way with words and such incredible timing. This is awesome!! I printed it so I can read it often!!

• dgwordworks Sat, Jun 1, 2013 / 7:44 am

Thank you Kristina! You are so sweet, I’m totally smiling. It’s just what I’d been thinking about and it means so much to me that it has found a happy landing in your heart. ❤

3. Mardra Sun, Jun 2, 2013 / 8:41 pm

LOVELY, thanks for sharing this. I’m amazed how many times we have to remind ourselves of what is right and what we “know,” thank you for being that reminder today. 🙂

• dgwordworks Mon, Jun 3, 2013 / 3:50 pm

Thanks Madra! Awesome to know it has been a “positive” message for you…reminders are good. Whether we like it or not we subconsciously ‘remind’ ourselves of things all the time and unfortunately those little inner voices don’t always say things that motivate us. Sometimes we have to work a little harder by writing, reading, talking and reaching out for the positive influences.

4. Deb Courtney Thu, Jun 6, 2013 / 9:39 am

I really can’t say enough about maintaining a positive outlook. When we are down or depressed or negative, it impacts our ability to see the good htings, the possibilities, the oportunities. I use my darket emotions in my writing, but generally, when I make myself act positive, even when I’m having trouble truly feeling that way, I end up happier anyway 🙂

• dgwordworks Thu, Jun 6, 2013 / 2:24 pm

I agree, writing is a great place for the dark emotions because the reality is that we all have them, we get down, things happen in life. While it might be needed occasionally to ‘go there and let yourself feel it’… it’s a bummer to stay there. I can’t handle being around negativity for too long…so I don’t want to be THAT person for others either. Like you… I tend to make myself ‘act positive’ when I can’t shake it off and before you know it…things start turning around!

5. Kristi Lloyd Thu, Jun 6, 2013 / 12:59 pm

What a wonderful explanation! So many times people are told to “stay positive” or “look on the bright side of things.” It can be rough. But with the thought of gravity, it might make it easier to be “uplifted.”

6. Jennifer Lovett Herbranson Thu, Jun 6, 2013 / 9:12 pm

Deidre –
    Oh, how nice! We have a happy jar at home with little strips of paper on them. Each paper is something that made us happy that day. It’s so nice to look at when I get in a snit. Life truly isn’t that bad. But isn’t it true how “easy” negativity is and how odd, since positivity just feels nicer. Great post Deidre! I’ll be thinking “positivity” things all day now.

• dgwordworks Fri, Jun 7, 2013 / 2:24 pm

Oooo…liking the happy jar idea. It’s cool that you guys do that. It’s interesting too that we have to ‘remind’ ourselves about goodness, happiness and positivity…I think it brings the point home because when is the last time a person made a sadness jar? Somehow we don’t need to be reminded of negativity or things that make us feel bad. It takes a bit more effort to stay up and positive. And I must say…it really shows in those who do take the extra effort. You are a ray of sunshine and I’m glad I can spread some more positivity thoughts your way!

7. Chris Mandeville Thu, Jun 27, 2013 / 1:47 am

I remember the exact moment when I decided to be a positive person instead of a mostly-negative one. It was a choice, and one I’ve been glad for every day since. Thanks for reminding me of that moment, and of how valuable it has been and continues to be.

• dgwordworks Fri, Jun 28, 2013 / 9:27 am

So glad you’ve made that choice Chris. You are awesome, I had no idea there was a time you made a paradigm shift in perspective. It serves you well… 🙂